[DRBD-user] setup guidance needed

phillip at fiu.edu phillip at fiu.edu
Wed Oct 12 16:57:20 CEST 2005

Hello, I'm very new to drbd, and I have been going over the documentation
and mailing list archives the past few days to help me get started. But
I've reached a point were I need some help.

I think what I am trying to accomplish should be fairly simple. I have two
nodes and I'd like to replicate the '/var/log' file system between the
two.

I have drbd compiled and installed (I believe correctly), and I'm running
in to a couple of problems...

1. On one node when I run 'drbdadm up all' I get the following error (I
did run the mknod command as the documentation specifies):
can not open /dev/drbd0: No such device or address
Command '/sbin/drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 disk
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00_varlog internal -1 --on-io-error=detach'
terminated with exit code 20

2.  On the other node when I run 'drbdadm up all' I get the following
error:
Lower device (/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-varlog) is already mounted
Command '/sbin/drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 disk /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-varlog
internal -1 --on-io-error=detach' terminated with exit code 20

I understand that the file system cannot be mounted when drbd tries to use
it, but I'm not sure how to configure this to work correctly. Is there a
way to get drbd to mount the file system on startup?

I am running...
RedHat EL 4
heartbeat 2.0.2-1
drbd 0.7.13

drbd.conf (I only changed the host information, and left everything else
default):

  on left_host {
    device     /dev/drbd0;
    disk       /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-varlog;
    address    10.10.10.11:7788;
    meta-disk  internal;
  }

  on right_host {
    device    /dev/drbd0;
    disk      /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00_varlog;
    address   10.10.10.12:7788;
    meta-disk internal;
  }

Your friendly neighborhood SA,