[DRBD-user] Re: filesystem corruptions

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue Oct 11 10:44:32 CEST 2005

/ 2005-10-11 00:10:05 +0400
\ Eugene Crosser:
> Just out of the blue: could the problem be in the drbd vs. md
> interaction, rather than SATA, DMA, IRQ magic?
>
> Did anyone ever successfully run drbd on top of md (and under
> significant load: the problem does not show up under light load)?
>
> I remember Philip told me that linbit is typically running drbd on top
> of hardware RAIDs, and that they are *considering* software RAID because
> of better monitoring features.  And I remember Lars recently said that
> they failed with software RAID on SATA but things magically went good
> when they dropped in "an old promise controller" (which is a hardware
> RAID, correct?).

no.  we used that other controller to make SATA apear as SCSI, then
again used software raid on it. btw, that particular box still has
hardware problems, and no, they are not DRBD related.

one typical LINBIT setup is SCSI+MD+LVM+DRBD
+ mail storage, webserver and database.
yes we have load on the systems, yes it works just fine.

> Could the FS corruption be an artifact of "double virtualization"
> conflicting with the scheme of marking dirty buffers on the VM layer or
> something equally incomprehensible? ;-)

no...
rather please double check yourself with that bio_clone fix...