[DRBD-user] Re: filesystem corruptions

Bernd Schubert bernd-schubert at gmx.de
Mon Oct 10 23:51:11 CEST 2005

On Monday 10 October 2005 22:10, Eugene Crosser wrote:
> Just out of the blue: could the problem be in the drbd vs. md
> interaction, rather than SATA, DMA, IRQ magic?

Oh oh, I'm a bit scared now. Just a story from our experience:

After we installed our new file-server in summer 2004 we experienced some
problems after it was already in production for a couple of hours and after
all clients already used it. Therefore we had to introduce a workaround (by
switching back from unfs3 to clusternfs) and had to put the clients /etc
and /var on an extra ext2 partitions on our file-server (all clients are
diskless and get everything via tftpboot and nfs). Since the hardware raid
already was in usage and since we didn't use LVM, we had to put those two
drbd partitions on a software-raid1 on SATA disks.
After some time we again and again experienced file corruptions of the /var
partition. Sometime after all unfs3 problems were fixed we took the next
chance and got rid of the extra ext2 partitions. Actually we all the time
thought its the onboard SIL controller that the causes the problems and also
already replaced it by another controller on the same time when we removed
the extra /var and /etc partitions.
Well, the point is, we never experienced any data corruption with drbd on the
hardware raid. On the failover node we had until some weeks ago only a single
ide disk, but now replaced it by a software-raid1 - but thats on the failover
node, which is supposed to work for a little time as possible.
The bad news (at least for us) is that our main-server (which had the hardware
raid) will go into repair on Wednesday and we will have rely on the
failover-system. I guess next weeks this time I can tell if there has been
some data corruption or not.

Cheers,
	Bernd