[DRBD-user] csync2

Clifford Wolf clifford.wolf at linbit.com
Wed Oct 5 11:13:58 CEST 2005

Hi,

On Wednesday 05 October 2005 02:30, S P Arif Sahari Wibowo wrote:
> How's csync2 resource taking and performance compare to rsync?
> My current file server always feel the weight when the backup
> machine do rsync pull for the whole file server's data
> partition. I guess because it will require reading the whole 60
> GB data in the data partition. Therefore I cannot do continuous
> running for rsync. Is csync2 better in this issue? How?

csync2 stats the files and compares the file metadata (size, modification
time, etc) with a local database of the last known state and so detects
changes in local files without reading the whole metadata.

Have a look at

	http://www.clifford.at/papers/2005/csync2/paper.pdf

for a more detailed description of the algorithm. This paper will become
the official csync2 documentation with the next csync2 release.

> Also, the webpage said that csync2 is not good for laptop -
> desktop synchronization. Why?

It is not designed for this task, so e.g. onison is better for it. but you can
use csync2 to synchronize your laptop with your desktop. however, csync2 is
designed to be executed by the root user and you might have some problems if
you are using different user-ids on the laptop and the desktop system. So it
really depends on what you want to do..

yours,
 - clifford

--
: Clifford Wolf                                 Tel +43-1-8178292-00 :
: LINBIT Information Technologies GmbH          Fax +43-1-8178292-82 :