[DRBD-user] Expanding filesystem with DRBD?

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Mon Oct 3 17:00:34 CEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 14:16 -0700, Scott Simpson wrote:
> I'm using LVM partitions as my underlying raw devices.

A wise choice, IMHO. I <3 LVM. :)

> Can I expand the underlying filesystems with DRBD? That is, what if I
> bring DRBD down, expand the logical volume using lvextend, bring DRBD
> up, and then do a "resize2fs /dev/drbd0" (can't use the underlying
> partition here!).

After lvextend and before resize2fs you need to resize DRBD with
drbdadm. DRBD also keeps track of the size of its volumes and will
report that size to resize2fs unless you adjust it.

> Should I store my metadata on a separate partition in this case or will
> internal metadata work?

I know it works fine with a separate partition. Can't comment on
internal as I've never tried.

Corey