[DRBD-user] DRBD w/ Postfix

Alan Robertson alanr at unix.sh
Tue Jul 26 02:36:52 CEST 2005

Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> I plan to put DRBD w/Heartbeat on a Debian (sarge) Postfix server w/
> Courier-imap.
>
> My question is this. Obviously one directory structure that I will be
> synchronizing (making a drbd block device) would be /home
> However, although I would like to be able to synchronize all users  and
> their passwords, and all postfix settings, that would mean  making /etc
> also a drbd block device. But that's not possible now is  it - or not
> advisable as I would be synchronizing files that are box  specific
> (/etc/fstab, /etc/network/interfaces..., /etc/hostname, etc.).
>
> An obvious solution would be an ldap server - but that is not an  option
> for certain reasons. So, is there a way to accomplish this?
>
> Also, have I left out any other directories that I probably should be
> synchronizing but just didn't consider?

What I do is make symlinks.  This is described in my article on DRBD and
heartbeat here http://www.linux-mag.com/2003-11/availability_01.html (it
talks about an old version of DRBD but the principles are the same).

Sean Reifschneider wrote a tool called DRBDlinks to do something similar
in a little more fancy way.  You can read about it here:
	http://www.samag.com/documents/s=9658/sam0505b/

--
     Alan Robertson <alanr at unix.sh>

Wilberforce