[DRBD-user] The effects of duplex mismatch on a cluster running drbd

Maurice Volaski mvolaski at aecom.yu.edu
Fri Jul 15 08:44:14 CEST 2005

I have running a pair of servers using drbd to do mirroring. Primary
is using dual bonded gigabit. Secondary didn't have gigabit yet. And
the 100 Mbit it was running was incorrectly set to half duplex.

Hearbeat dropped packets. That seems expected.
Drbd was continually dropping the connection. That seems expected.
But here's something interesting: it affected services on the
primary. Both netatalk and smb clients were dropping connections
frequently. I'm assuming this is due to the way protocol C works. IO
isn't flagged as done until the secondary acknowledges it. And a
duplex mismatch majorly impacts network operation.

This is in effect means that anything that impacts IO on the
secondary impacts the primary's functionality. They're like siamese
computers :-)

Maurice Volaski, mvolaski at aecom.yu.edu