[DRBD-user] DRBD w/ Postfix

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Thu Jul 14 15:44:44 CEST 2005

Curtis Vaughan wrote:

<SNIP>
> However, although I would like to be able to synchronize all users
> and their passwords, and all postfix settings, that would mean
> making /etc also a drbd block device. But that's not possible now is
> it - or not advisable as I would be synchronizing files that are box
> specific (/etc/fstab, /etc/network/interfaces..., /etc/hostname, etc.).
>
> An obvious solution would be an ldap server - but that is not an
> option for certain reasons. So, is there a way to accomplish this?
<SNIP>

For all the config files I synchronized from /etc/ on both machines, I keep
them in CVS using remote access procedures (:ext: with CVS_RSH=rsh in my
case) and do a
`cvs update;make install` on both machines any time I want to change them.
This has the added benefit of version control, so if I break something over
time I can just revert to a known working rev. The CVS repo happens to be on
one of my DRBD devices but that does not matter with the way I access it.

As for the passwords, I have vaguely investigated the possibility of having
my primary (as in the drbd primary) server act as a NIS server, and because
it would have it's config data on a DRBD heartbeat would need to control
whether it was up or down. From a Fedora Core perspective both machines
would need /etc/sysconfig/network to have STATD_HOSTNAME= set to the same
thing, I think that may be enough (with everything else that was setup so
they could be AN NFS server) so the NIS slaves would follow the fallover
from machine to machine but I have not tried it yet.

--
Todd Denniston