[DRBD-user] DRBD w/ Postfix

nick nick at mobilia.it
Thu Jul 14 11:57:24 CEST 2005

Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> I plan to put DRBD w/Heartbeat on a Debian (sarge) Postfix server w/
> Courier-imap.
>
> My question is this. Obviously one directory structure that I will be
> synchronizing (making a drbd block device) would be /home
> However, although I would like to be able to synchronize all users  and
> their passwords, and all postfix settings, that would mean  making /etc
> also a drbd block device. But that's not possible now is  it - or not
> advisable as I would be synchronizing files that are box  specific
> (/etc/fstab, /etc/network/interfaces..., /etc/hostname, etc.).
>
> An obvious solution would be an ldap server - but that is not an  option
> for certain reasons. So, is there a way to accomplish this?
>
> Also, have I left out any other directories that I probably should be
> synchronizing but just didn't consider?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Curtis

I use drbd for all my data which needs to be duplicated, spool
directory, home directory and maildirs, for the information in the etc
directory, I use unison http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/
which allows you to specify directories, or just individual files to
copy over. With keychain and ssh passwordless logins, you can run cron
jobs or bash scripts to automate it.

Look into it.