[DRBD-user] Ways to force a heartbeat take-over on io-error?

Tim Bruijnzeels tim.bruijnzeels at int.greenpeace.org
Thu Jul 14 10:18:30 CEST 2005

Hi,

I am using:
drbd 0.7.10
heartbeat 1.2.3
RedHat EL 4

I am in the midst of setting up a fail-over cluster. The way I am
setting it up it's actually a two-way failover cluster. During normal
operation node A will host a specific set of services and be the drbd
primary for the associated drbd disk, and node B similar for another set.
For the OS level partitions I use software raid. As drdbd effectively
mirrors the data between two systems I thought I'd save some disk space
and just use unmirrored partitions for the drbd devices on both nodes...

The problem is of course that when a single disk crashes I will have to
force a take-over.

As far as I can tell I can use the following option in the 'disk'
section to force this:

  on-io-error panic

The panic will force heartbeat on the other node to initiate a take over.

But is there another way? E.g. can I somehow make drbd invoke a
'heartbeat stop' on-io-error; and preferably send out an alert message?
That way it would be easier for me to log into the crashed node and
investigate..

The more I think about it, the more I am starting to get in favor of the
'panic' option to be on the safe side. But I thought I'd ask my question
here to see if anyone else has ideas / experience on/with this.

Cheers,

Tim