AW: [DRBD-user] [Q] DRBD - resyncing after changes to underlying device

Martin Bene martin.bene at icomedias.com
Tue Jul 12 11:17:44 CEST 2005

Hi Guy,

> Short version:
> If a DRBD-controlled underlying block device (/dev/hda3, for example)
> is mounted directly without DRBD running, the data is changed, then
> DRBD is reinstated using that block device, will DRBD recognise the
> changes?

No, drbd will NOT recognise the changes without intervention; you'll
need a fullsync to get into a consistent state.

* shut down drbd on the secondary.
* install & start drbd on the primary, make drbd primary. Secondary
should still be down (to make extra sure you don't get a resync in the
wrong direction).
* with drbd mounted & primary on the node with the changed data, start
drbd on the secondary.
* issue drbdadm invalidate on the secondary to force a fullsync. Once
that finishes you're back in business with consistent data on both
nodes.

Bye, Martin