[DRBD-user] drbd upon md or md upon multiple drbds?

Christof Amelunxen ca at ordix.de
Thu Jul 7 15:51:29 CEST 2005

Hi Lars,

> > From http://www.drbd.org/drbd-article.html
> >
> >         You can stack DRBD on top of md, md on top of DRBD is
nonsense,
> >         however.

> "nonsense"
> because the drbds would need to be always in Primary on the same
host...
> you could do that, meanwhile. but it is not recommended.
>
> if you want real software raid (1,5,10,whatever), then use md,
> optionally put lvm on top of the md, put drbd on top of md or lvm,
> and if you really want to, you could then use the drbds as "pv"s in an
> upper volume group. (the latter is not exactly trivial, either...)

We have one cluster using drbds as physical volumes and I would just
like to know what you mean with "not exactly trivial" as for now it
works like a charm but I dont want to bump into some things I didnt
think of in advcane later. Are there any special considerations to take
except that one has to prevent LVM from detecting the underlying
partitions as physical volumes?

Thanks for any hints,
Christof