[DRBD-user] Using DRBD between hosts with dual redundant network interfaces]

paddy paddy at panici.net
Wed Jul 6 16:12:08 CEST 2005

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 03:44:48PM +0200, Matthias Weigel wrote:

> From: Matthias Weigel <matthias.weigel at maweos.de>
> To: paddy <paddy at panici.net>
> Subject: Re: [DRBD-user] Using DRBD between hosts with dual redundant network
> 	interfaces
>
> Hello,
>
> if you want to do it outside of drbd, there is another option: OSPF.
>
> (I have not done this with drbd yet, only with other daemons!)
> - setup an extra lo interface on each box, e.g. lo:2
> - configure drbd to only use the ip of this extra lo interface

I tried this before I went to ipip, what I got was:

# ifconfig lo:0 192.168.2.1 up
black:~# ping 192.168.2.2

even if I set up a route for it.  I imagined this is part of the magic of lo.
I thought about looking for the thing i wanted, but at that point the
tunneling possibility was nagging at me so I went that way.

so how do you do this step ?  something with iproute perhaps ?

> - setup OSPF (e.g. from www.quagga.net) to manage the routes between the
> two boxes (including the extra lo interfaces).
>
> OSPF will always find a route, if one exists, between the two drbd
> boxes. It will even prefer faster networks over slower ones.

cool.

I take it you're not aware of a gadget that does the redundant networking
thing ?

Regards,
Paddy
--
Perl 6 will give you the big knob. -- Larry Wall