[DRBD-user] Using multiple routes to synchronize

paddy paddy at panici.net
Mon Jul 4 21:01:22 CEST 2005

On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 05:47:55PM -0400, Maurice Volaski wrote:
> Someone previously asked:
>
> >Hi there!
> >
> >i'm running heartbeat with drbd mirroring.
> >the heartbeats are being sent by eth1 and ttys0. the drbd devices are
> >mirrored over eht1, too.
> >if eth1 breaks, no more data is being mirrored, but the heartbeats still
> >get
> >over ttys0. is that a problem?
> >imagine, the server crashes after eth1 was broken. the slave overtakes the
> >services, but the data isn't up-to-date, because mirroring doesn't work
> >anymore.
> >so ive lost some important data.
> >
> >is there a possibility to prevent this problem?
> >i thought about automatically change the mirror device to eth0, when eth1
> >fails.
> >

> I'm now in the same situation. Hearbeat is on eth0 and I can't go
> beyond that. Is there any plan to allow multiple independent pathways
> to synchronize? I don't see anything on the road map page,
> http://svn.drbd.org/drbd/trunk/ROADMAP. Simple NIC bonding won't help
> because the NICs in my case are on wholly different networks.

Maurice,

I vaguely recall that there is a way to have a virtual device that can be
pointed to a real network device dynamically.  This kind of thing has
been used for dial-on-demand, and might be possible with something like
tun/tap.  You could then fail-over the device from one connection to
another with something like heartbeat.  okay, so lots of handwaving,
but I hope this helps.

Regards,
Paddy
--
Perl 6 will give you the big knob. -- Larry Wall