[DRBD-user] concept behind drbd

Curtis Vaughan curtis at npc-usa.com
Sun Jul 3 18:37:17 CEST 2005

I just wanted to ask some questions about using drbd.

First the setup:
2 computers w/postfix & courier-imap.
Computer 1: has something like an 140 Gig HD.
Computer 2: has something like eight 9 Gig HDs.

Computer 1 will be the primary.

So it's my understanding that in order for drbd to work, I will have
to take the 140 HD on the primary and divide it up into 9 Gig
equivalents of the HDs on the secondary.
So let's say say on the secondary I put say /home on /dev/hda2, /var
on /dev/hda3, root on /dev/hda1 - just for the sake of argument and
these are the drives that I want to be made redundant. Therefore, for
each of these drives I will have to have an equivalent partition on
the primary. And the partitions should be pretty much the exact same
size.

I still have a lot of reading to do, but I'm just trying to get a
basic understanding.

Thanks.