[DRBD-user] Why drbd-0.7.x cannot use host names anymore?

Ward Horner whorner98 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 1 17:55:20 CEST 2005

I have just upgraded from 0.6.13 to 0.7.11 and have it working.

In my drbd.conf file, I used to use host names that were defined in my
/etc/hosts file as the argument for the "address" field. Like this:

on primary {
   device /dev/nbd/0
   disk /dev/md/2
   address primary
   port 7788
}

Now  with 0.7.11, I must specify the IP address. Like this:

on primary {
   device /dev/nbd/0;
   disk /dev/md/2;
   address 192.168.0.201:7788;
   meta-disk /dev/md/4 [0];
}

I cannot use "primary:7788;". I get this message:

     Starting DRBD resources:    /etc/drbd.conf:38: IP and port
'XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:PORT ' expected, not 'primary:7788'.

And the startup fails.

Why was this changed? Previously, if I needed to reconfig my IP addresses,
I just modified my /etc/hosts file and rebooted. Now I have to modify the
/etc/hosts AND drbd.conf. Is there a reason that you have changed this
feature or is it just an over sight? And can you change it back the way it was?

Ward