[DRBD-user] mounting low level device for remote backup

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Sat Jan 8 22:17:53 CET 2005

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 12:08:02PM -0800, Michael Klatt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to DRDB, and I think it's really a great solution for data
> redundancy/protection.  It was surprising easy to install (although
> there's a lot of out-dated documentation on the website that can be
> confusing to newbies).

(Especially the mailing list address. I had to google the website for
it, found drbd-devel at lists.sourceforge.net, and then I had to check the
archives to find the new address.)

> I have a question.  From reading the mailing list, I know a lot of
> people are trying to mount a drbd resource as readonly on the Secondary,
> and all documentation says it's not possible (or, it shouldn't be done).
>
> I think my need is a little different.  I want to turn off drbd on the
> secondary long enough to make a remote backup of the contents (using
> Bacula).  I've found that if I shut down drbd on the secondary, mount
> the "low level device" in readonly mode, I can perform a backup of the
> data just fine.  Then, when I umount the low level device and start drbd
> again, the system seems happy.
>
> Is this a really bad idea?  I think I read somewhere that we shouldn't
> touch the low level device, but since I'm using readonly and the device
> isn't being updated by drbd, is this safe to do?  The reason I want to
> do this is to take the backup load off the primary.

Some journaled filesystems replay the log even if you try to mount it
read-only, so you could get some inconsistency.

And if something happens to the other node, you may lose the changes in
the time it takes for the backup to run.

I'd check lvm snapshots instead.

Regards,
Luciano Rocha

--
Consciousness: that annoying time between naps.