[DRBD-user] make error message?

Alex Vrenios alex at DSRLab.com
Mon Feb 21 19:43:30 CET 2005

Hi,

And thank you for the reply. I started out with 0.7.10, but the setup
command examples I have fail, and the latest documentation site seems to be
down. I backed off to a place were (I thought) the commands I knew about
would work. I am setting up DRBD and Heartbeat for an upcoming class, so
performance is not an issue.

I downloaded 0.7.0, but it wouldn't build on my RH9 system. I tried to work
through the code, but gave up when I got too deep into the mdev references.
0.7.1, .2, and .3 builds failed in exactly the same way. 0.7.4 did build
okay, though, and I'm sticking with that for now.

It doesn't work with the simple drbdsetup commands explained in the doc I
have, either, but I read about the meta-disk in the man pages that came with
it, and hacked a drbd.conf file from the sample. 0.7.4 is working without
having to force anything with the "what-I-say" parameter.

I'm okay for now - thanks again.

Alex
-----Original Message-----
From: drbd-user-bounces at lists.linbit.com
[mailto:drbd-user-bounces at lists.linbit.com] On Behalf Of Jeff Buck
Sent: Monday, February 21, 2005 11:11 AM
To: Alex Vrenios
Cc: drbd-user at lists.linbit.com
Subject: Re: [DRBD-user] make error message?

Is there any specific reason you're going with 0.7.0 ??? The current stable
version is 0.7.10 I think.. There are a number of bug fixes since 0.7.0 that
I'm sure you'll want.. Maybe even one that keeps things from compiling
properly with newer kernels.

That said, it seems that most peoples problems setting up drbd from the
start usually stem from having a running kernel that is not *completely*
identical to the kernel source tree. A lot of distros ship multiple kernels
(smp, optimized for a certain processor etc.) but only one source tree. For
best results compile your kernel from source with the options that fit your
machine best, then compile drbd after a reboot to your new kernel.

Your error probably has to do with your old version of drbd though. The
2.6 kernels are a bit of a moving target for externally maintained modules,
and it doesn't look like that's going to change anytime soon either.