[DRBD-user] Stale NFS file handle

Brad Barnett lists at l8r.net
Sat Dec 17 05:17:18 CET 2005

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 13:39:29 -0500
Todd Denniston <Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil> wrote:

> Andrés Cañada wrote:
> > Hi!
> > I've been reading about the Stale NFS file handle problem in this
> > list. As far as I can see, this is a Debian/NFS problem, so that's my
> > problem, and I  haven't read the solution that works for me.
>
>  From the above and below text you wrote I think you may have one
>  problem
> causing another.
>
> If you kill nfsd it can not store needed data in drbd0 that would be
> needed  when a fall over so the other system can resume the nfs
> sessions.

Debian's NFS daemon (at one point in time, may still be true) does not
die (sometimes) when stopped.  Many posts, emails, webpages and the like,
all point to the fact that Debian users need to follow a normal nfs stop
with a kill.. otherwise nfs process will hang around on the inactive drbd
node...

Is this always necessary, or even still true?  I know that I don't have a
kill, and I use Debian, and I do not have these issues.  Then again, I'm
using kernel nfsd, perhaps that makes a difference...

Anyhow, just a FYI.