[DRBD-user] Kernel 2.6.13-15-default UPDATE per YOU to 2.6.13-15.7 ?

Brad Barnett lists at l8r.net
Sat Dec 10 16:00:08 CET 2005

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 15:19:17 +0100
"LLLActive at GMail.com" <lllactive at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I managed to get DRBD 0.7.14 made and built on my 2.6.13-15-default (#1
> Tue Sep 13 14:56:15 UTC 2005 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux) SUSE 10.0
> Boxed version. It is running, switches primary and secondary with
> drbdadm, mounts the primary etc. I'm on to the heartbeat installation
> now. The second DRBD installation is due next week.
>
> Today the update for the 2.6.13-15-default (#1 Tue Sep 13 14:56:15 UTC
> 2005 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux) was announced and installable via
> YOU.
>
> Question: With newbie uncertainty in mind, will it do something to my
> installation that was made and built (including RPM) on my box. If so,
> (1) how can I update DRBD for the 'new' Kernel painlessly;
> (2) if I test the new kernel as it is delivered with the current build
> of my DRBD, and it strikes, how can I revert back to the old kernel?
> (not done that yet);
> (3) Advise me if it is necessary to update the kernel (for the
> 'stability improvements' and security fixes for the x86_64).

One thing about kernel updates you should do, is look at the changelog.
For example, if you see something about "ext3 filesystem corruption
fixed".. and you're using ext3.. it's probably a good idea to update. ;)
The same goes for hardware issues.  Why upgrade a kernel, if the only fix
is to a network card you don't have?

However, in terms of security fixes, this really depends upon your box.
Do you care if a local user -> root exploit in your current kernel is
possible?  It depends on what type of exploit it is, if there are any
local users on the box, how many and what type of services you run, and
how secure your environment is.

If your local lan doesn't even have external network access, you only run
NFS on those boxes, the privilege escalation issue you see in the
kernel changelong, may not be applicable.

After all, upgrading a kernel can _lead_ to bugs you do not have yet!  The
same goes for security issues.