[DRBD-user] Kernel 2.6.13-15-default UPDATE per YOU to 2.6.13-15.7 ?

LLLActive@GMail.com lllactive at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 15:19:17 CET 2005

Hi all,

I managed to get DRBD 0.7.14 made and built on my 2.6.13-15-default (#1
Tue Sep 13 14:56:15 UTC 2005 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux) SUSE 10.0
Boxed version. It is running, switches primary and secondary with
drbdadm, mounts the primary etc. I'm on to the heartbeat installation
now. The second DRBD installation is due next week.

Today the update for the 2.6.13-15-default (#1 Tue Sep 13 14:56:15 UTC
2005 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux) was announced and installable via
YOU.

Question: With newbie uncertainty in mind, will it do something to my
installation that was made and built (including RPM) on my box. If so,
(1) how can I update DRBD for the 'new' Kernel painlessly;
(2) if I test the new kernel as it is delivered with the current build
of my DRBD, and it strikes, how can I revert back to the old kernel?
(not done that yet);
(3) Advise me if it is necessary to update the kernel (for the
'stability improvements' and security fixes for the x86_64).

All help and advice greatly appreciated.

--
I posted this message on Thursday already; did it come through ? ...

:-)
Al
Alemanne
EU

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Info on the new Kernel update:

(Alt Version 2.6.13-15.7 for currently installed 2.6.13-15)

This kernel update for SUSE Linux 10.0 contains fixes for XEN, various
security fixes and bug fixes. CVE-XXXX-XXXX numbers refer to Mitre CVE
IDs (http://cve.mitre.org/). This update includes a more recent snapshot
of the upcoming Xen 3.0. Many bugs have been fixed. Stability for x86_64
has been improved. Stability has been improved for SMP, and now both
i586 and x86_64 kernels are built with SMP support. This update contains
the following security fixes: - CVE-2005-3783: A check in ptrace(2)
handling that finds out if a process is attaching to itself was
incorrect and could be used by a local attacker to crash the machine. -
CVE-2005-3784: A check in reaping of terminating child processes did not
consider ptrace(2) attached processes and would leave a ptrace reference
dangling. This could lead to a local user being able to crash the
machine. - CVE-2005-3271: A task leak problem when releasing POSIX
timers was fixed. This could lead to local users causing a local denial
of service by exhausting system memory. - CVE-2005-3805: A locking
problem in POSIX timer handling could be used by a local attacker on a
SMP system to deadlock the machine. - CVE-2005-3181: A problem in the
Linux auditing code could lead to a memory leak which finally could
exhaust system memory of a machine. - CVE-2005-2973: An infinite loop in
the IPv6 UDP loopback handling can be easily triggered by a local user
and lead to a denial of service. - CVE-2005-3806: A bug in IPv6
flowlabel handling code could be used by a local attacker to free
non-allocated memory and in turn corrupt kernel memory and likely crash
the machine. - CVE-2005-3807: A memory kernel leak in VFS lease handling
can exhaust the machine memory and so cause a local denial of service.
This is seen in regular Samba use and could also be triggered by local
attackers. - CVE-2005-3055: Unplugging an userspace controlled USB
device with an URB pending in userspace could crash the kernel. This can
be easily triggered by local attacker. - - CVE-2005-3180: Fixed
incorrect padding in orinoco wireless driver, which could expose kernel
data to the air. - CVE-2005-3044: Missing sockfd_put() calls in
routing_ioctl() leaked file handles which in turn could exhaust system
memory. - CVE-2005-3527: A race condition in do_coredump in signal.c
allows local users to cause a denial of service (machine hang) by
triggering a core dump in one thread while another thread has a pending
SIGSTOP. Additionaly the following non security bugs were fixed: - Fix
NFS cache consistency races which could lead to data corruption and
crashes. - A kernel panic when loading the r8169 module without
powermanagment was fixed. - i386: A race condition in the
powermanagement module powernow-k8 was fixed. - Special ELF binaries
without DATA and BSS segments could not be loaded due to too strict
kernel checks. - Various bugs in the ALSA sound system were fixed. - A
problem in IPv6 initialization with IPv6 disabled by policy that could
leave dangling kernel pointers around was fixed. - Added sis 965l
support to the sis5513 ide driver. - Disabled C2/C3 powermanagement
states on all IBM R40e BIOSes. - Fixed machine crash when switching the
io-scheduler away from CFQ. - Call reboot notifiers of power off to
switch off certain machines. - AMD64: Don't use TSC for time keeping on
AMD single socket dual core systems. - Fixed the "treason uncloaked"
kernel messages that were caused by a stale pred_flags variable when the
TCP snd_wnd changes. - USB floppy drive SAMSUNG SFD-321U/EP was detected
8 times. - CONFIG_ACPI_HOTKEY is not supportable yet according to Intel,
so we disabled it. - Disable ACPI on machines from before 2001 on all
kernels again. - USB: always export interface information for modalias.
- Various iSCSI fixes. - Avoid a potential fs corruption on SMP systems.
- i386: Increased number of CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_NR_UARTS to 8. - Fixed a
data corruption in the MD device driver when the delayed recovery is
interrupted. - ahci: Don't set SActive for non-NCQ commands. This could
have left the LED burning even for inactivity. - ppc: Handle GCC 4
generated relocations for 32bit memory access in the module loader. -
ppc: Removed a special case for ppc to use MAC from prom if CSR is
corrupt - CIFS: Made cifsd (kernel daemon for the CIFS filesystem)
suspend aware. - Fixed ACPI issues on an ASUS L5D. - IDE: Worked around
powermanagement problems. - Disable AMD TLB flush filter on i386/x86-64
(might help 3d drivers) - Quiet down capacity reading from IDE CD when
no media inserted. - ACPI: Worked around undefined ZOO* objects on
certain Acer Aspire notebooks. - ACPI: Fixed Oops on pcc_acpi unloading.
- ACPI: Fix hang in ACPI device scan on certain HP nx Laptops. - Fixed a
bug in ACL handling of tmpfs. - Fix time going twice as fast problem on
ATI Xpress chipsets.