[DRBD-user] Drbd 0.7.12 - Buffer I/O error on device drbd0

Poyner, Brandon bpoyner at ccac.edu
Fri Aug 26 15:12:13 CEST 2005

> > Aug 25 15:08:43 artemis kernel: drbd0: Secondary/Secondary -->
Secondary/Primary
> > Aug 25 16:18:53 artemis kernel: drbd0: Not in Primary state, no IO
requests allowed
> > Aug 25 16:18:53 artemis kernel: Buffer I/O error on device drbd0,
logical block 0

> what else can we do than give error messages in plain english?

Fair enough, but _I_ wasn't requesting I/O on the drbd device.  I didn't
attempt mounting the device, read it with dd, snap shot it, or otherwise
mess with it.

It appears that when installing a kernel RPM, RHEL's %post does a
/sbin/new-kernel-pkg which does a 'echo "showlabels" | /sbin/nash
--force --quiet' which makes the kernel throw those error messages.  I'm
not sure why it throws that error as that command displays the uuid
cache.

Not exactly intuitive where the error came from, especially if you're
using RHN and RHEL is patching itself.  A solution is to have a line
excluding drbd from lvm.conf, example:

filter = [ "r/drbd/", "a/.*/" ]

Brandon Poyner
Network Engineer III