[DRBD-user] disaster recovery failover

John S Little JSLittl at Hendricks.org
Thu Aug 25 14:44:40 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I saw the below post from "Subject: Re: [DRBD-user] 3 simple questions for
a nifty setup" and it makes me wonder if I need to rethink part of our
disaster recovery plan.

We are building a disaster recovery center connected by fiber about 20
miles from our location.  Where drbd is concerned I had planned on the
primary here and the secondary at the dr site.  From what I read below
this may not be such a hot idea.  Please let me know comments, insights
and opinions..

> buy it, and I'll tell you :->
> well, basically, in case they'd need the "tertiary", what would happen
is,
> they phone us, and we do the tricky bit. *g*
>
> as I said, the "tertiary" is for desaster recovery, not for "high"
> availability, so in case it is needed, there already has been a
> desaster, and the additional latency of getting us involved is ok
> compared to everything else.

So we're looking at high availability with two machines locally and
disaster recovery with a third at the dr site?

What is the response time from the phone call?  Even though it is a file
server server 90% of the documents are on it. We could stand some latency
but as a hospital we would need to be up rather quickly.

> you really do not want to have automatic failover to a distant data
center
> just because heartbeat feels like it...

Point taken..

> cheers,
>
> --
> : Lars Ellenberg                                  Tel +43-1-8178292-0  :
> : LINBIT Information Technologies GmbH            Fax +43-1-8178292-82 :
> : Schoenbrunner Str. 244, A-1120 Vienna/Europe   http://www.linbit.com :

Regards,

John Little
Hendricks Regional Health IS Department