[DRBD-user] help tuning drbd timeouts

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed Aug 24 22:59:15 CEST 2005

/ 2005-08-24 21:50:39 +0100
\ paddy:

> If I read this right it fails before handshake with ECONNRESET ??
well, during handshake. yes.

> My problem is that my network is beyond my control, and I occasionally see
> congestion and outages of 2-3 minutes.
>
> What I would like to achieve is a system that will wait for a short while
> (if I understand correctly this is the parameter 'timeout')
> then fall back to waiting to reconnect for quite a long time (say 5 mins),
> and I'm hoping that all I need to do is tweak some parameters, but I'm
> really not getting it.  If I have 'on-disconnect reconnect', and make
> the heatbeat timeout 5 minutes does this not cover it ?

nope. if connection attempt fails during handshake, we go standalone.
this is not tunable.

write a "watchdog", maybe a cron job, that greps for StandAlone in
/proc/drbd, does some additional sanity checks, is easy to override
and/or disable, but by default does a "drbdadm connect" on the resources
in StandAlone mode.

> This is a debian 0.7.10-3 module built on debian sarge against 2.6.8-2-k7.
>
> I'm vaguely aware I probably need to upgrade to a 2.6.12.something kernel
> for a bio bug, but I don't immediately see the connection here.
> Apologies if I'm wrong :)

that is unconnected, and the bug you probably reference was introduced
in 2.6.11-rc whatever, and patched out again in 2.6.12.4
(both kernel.org or "linus" kernel version counting)