[DRBD-user] Reducing loadavg / iowait?

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Tue Aug 2 18:05:40 CEST 2005

Leroy van Logchem wrote:

> Best mailinglist,
>
> I'am using drbd on three heartbeat enabled clusters doing nfs and samba
> only.
> The performance is quite okay but we experience high load averages and
> iowait.
> Ideas to improve the setup are most welcome.
>
> Primary side:
> -----------------
> cat /proc/loadavg
> 11.65 11.66 12.64 1/284 11563
> ( The load doesnt drop below 10 and peaks around 50 daily )

<SNIP>
> Secondairy side:
> -----------------
> cat /proc/loadavg
> 0.11 0.15 0.10 1/104 9797

<SNIP>

You might want to look at the output from
smbstatus
smbstatus -p

IIRC, every smbd process (smbstatus -p) is waiting and will drive your load
average up by 1.
(you _might_ try shutting down samba for a few minutes and see what the load
level goes to, but that would probably not be a good thing to do during
working hours.)
--
Todd Denniston