[DRBD-user] Minimum/recommended system requirements

Chris de Vidal Chris at deVidal.tv
Tue Apr 19 14:38:49 CEST 2005

Wonderful program!

I set up a 60GB and a 20GB partition and have been using them in
production for the past 4 days in concert with Heartbeat.  Approximately
100 domains are running on a hot-standby cluster and I'm sleeping better
at night :-)

I noticed that when I did a dump/restore from another box the load average
went through the roof and even shut down many processes like Apache and
MySQL.

So my question: do our boxes meet the minimum/recommended spec?  Both are
identical:
DRBD 0.7.10
CentOS 3.4 (same as RedHat Enterprise Linux 3)
Celeron 600
1GB ECC RAM
120GB drives (don't recall the DMA/RPM speed but I can find out if necessary)
100MBit Intel NICs connected by crossover (don't recall which chipset but
I can find out if necessary)

If they do meet spec, any ideas why load peaked so much?  I was writing
many small files using dump and restore.  I could see how someone could
DoS us by repeatedly hammering our logs or uploading thousands of tiny
files.

I do have two DRBD partitions on one spindle, but I used two different
sync groups.

Thanks,
CD

P.S. I just had a thought: perhaps I need to run hdparm.