[DRBD-user] Metadevice question

M-Ackermann Manfred.Ackermann at t-systems.com
Wed Apr 13 13:34:45 CEST 2005

> cmd /sbin/drbdsetup /dev/drbd3 disk /dev/hda10 /dev/hda16 3 --on-io-error=detach
>  failed!
>
> where: hda10 is 10Gb and hda16 is 360Mb and drbd version is 0.7.10 for kernel
> 2.4.27-2-386 (debian)

128MB is needed for each device. So 4 (0,1,2,3) times 128MB makes 512MB and not 360MB. See also manpage:

       meta-disk device [index]
              internal means, that the last 128 MB of  the  lower  device  are
              used  to  store  the  meta-data.  You  must not use [index] with
              internal.

              You can use a single block device to store meta-data of multiple
              DRBD  devices.   E.g.  use meta-disk /dev/hde6[0]; and meta-disk
              /dev/hde6[1]; for two different  resources.  In  this  case  the
              meta-disk would need to be at least 256 MB in size.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Manfred Ackermann

T-Systems
Systems Integration