[DRBD-user] 0.6.10, sync should be in background?

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Mon Apr 11 19:06:39 CEST 2005

george young wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 11:23:46 -0500
> Todd Denniston <Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil> threw this fish to the penguins:

<SNIP>
> > Why were your users waiting?
>
> The boot process hung executing "/etc/rc.d/drbd start" until the sync
> finished.  Networks, logins, file systems, etc. were not available until
> the sync completed and the boot could finish.
>
> > pig-db could have (should have?) taken over pig-app's work (via heartbeat
> > configuration) until pig-app was fully ready to come back on line.
>
> Failover did not happen due to an as yet un-diagnosed problem in pig-db.
> I don't think there's any way this could have affected the wait/nowait
> behavior on pig-app.

Sounds like you need to look at heartbeat, before you start changing DRBD.
As I indicated, when something causes the kernel panic on one of my nodes,
the living node notices and in ~50 seconds after the fault the living node's
heartbeat has taken over all of the services.  If I issue a reboot or other
orderly shutdown, the response time of the living system is ~10-20 seconds.

You are probably correct about the pig-db problem not affecting "wait/nowait
behavior on pig-app", but that behavior should not have mattered _if_
heartbeat was taking over pig-app's services on pig-db.

--
Todd Denniston