[DRBD-user] 0.6 vs. 0.7 3ware performance? [Was: Expected syncspeed for a 425gb volume?]

James Doherty james at zeald.com
Wed Apr 6 23:45:51 CEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 15:49 -0500, Nate Carlson wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, Todd Denniston wrote:
> > Ouch, that is one heck of a diffrence.  However on thing 0.7 has over
> > 0.6 is that even on a cold restart, once the devices have fully synced
> > the first time, is that unless you force it to, 0.7 only has to sync
> > what has changed.
>
> Yeah, but the slow write speed for normal operations won't be acceptable.
> :(

It's interesting that you should point that out. We have a RAID5 array
with a 3ware 7500-4 in one machine and 3ware 3W-6400 in the other. Both
machines have 3com gigabit nic's. We've only ever used DRBD 0.7.5 on
this setup and sync performance isn't too shabby (20,000 K/sec, although
I think I may have seen 30,000) but write performance seems to be rather
poor (no benchmarks on this).

The machines aren't the fastest machines around, but they're fairly
decent Athlon XP's with lots of ram. Perhaps we are at the limits of our
hardware, but I expected a little better performance while writing to
the drbd device. Perhaps it is a 3ware<->DRBD issue?

Cheers
--
James Doherty - Systems Engineer
Zeald.com - Websites That Work!