[DRBD-user] Expected sync speed for a 425gb volume?

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Wed Apr 6 20:48:54 CEST 2005

Nate Carlson wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, Todd Denniston wrote:
<SNIP>
> > 2) did you know that when you setup drbd against the disks the first
> > time it has to do a full sync between the drives to get them to the same
> > state, i.e. all 424334M has to be transferred? This could mean your
> > mkfs.ext3 is causing the disk to seek between where mkfs is writing and
> > where drbd is reading (these might be quite a bit apart) and this slows
> > both down. You might try putting the mkfs to sleep and see what the sync
> > rate goes to.
>
> I also tried sync'ing without running the mkfs.ext3 on them; it was
> getting better speeds (~15MB/sec), but still not what I'd expect.
>
> I think I've got another problem with the drive array config on both
> systems; I'm working on trying to figure that out now.

Just remembered a trick that made my Gig ethernet cards a bit better, up the
MTU on the cards (bonded pairs in your case) on both machines. For me
`ifconfig eth1 mtu 6000` works to get the sync speed up from ~15MB/Sec to
~25-30MB/sec. There have been discussions on this list of how to optimize
the MTU but I don't feel like searching for it right now.

--
Todd Denniston