[DRBD-user] DRBD 0.7 Packages for Debian Woody

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Tue Apr 5 17:00:30 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 16:41 +0800, Federico Sevilla III wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 04:34:39PM +0800, Federico Sevilla III wrote:
> > Would anyone know of available backports of the DRBD 0.7 packages for
> > Debian Woody? I'm setting up a new cluster and need to use Debian
> > Woody.  I'd like to use DRBD 0.7 instead of DRBD 0.6. Any pointers
> > would be great.
>
> Hrmm... asked too soon. I just stumbled on what looks like Debian Woody
> backports in <http://stampace.ca.astro.it/debian/testdebs-woody/>.
> Unfortunately, the rest of the site is on strike to protest the software
> patents, so I can't get more information about the unofficial packages.
> Should be a start, though.
>
> Just in case anyone has experience using these, or other backported
> packages of drbd0.7 for Woody, please chime in, okay?

I have compiled my own woody backports, which I would be happy to
provide to anyone else. It was a fairly simple process.

1. Add "deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main"
to /etc/apt/sources.list.
2. apt-get update
3. apt-get build-dep drbd0.7-utils
4. apt-get source drbd0.7-utils
5. cd drbd-0.7.10
6. fakeroot debian/rules binary

And that is that. The build-dep doesn't seem to actually install every
package you need, so you may get errors during the build. It really
depends on what you've installed already. I had to grab gcc, fakeroot,
and libc6-dev.

For the kernel module, I tried the drbd0.7-module-source package but
never quite got it to work. Here's what I did instead. I'm using
kernel-image-2.4.18-686.

1. Install kernel-source-2.4.18
2. ln -s /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18 /lib/modules/2.4.18-686/build
3. cp /boot/config-2.4.18-686 /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.18/.config
4. Grab the 0.7.10 tarball
5. make
6. cp drbd/drbd.o /lib/modules/2.4.18-686/kernel/fs
7. depmod -a

I have mirrored this email on my blog and posted my backported packages
there as well. Comments welcome.

        http://www.zmonkey.org/blog/node/39

Corey