[DRBD-user] IBM Server Machines with DRBD-0.7.x

Linux GNUbie gnubie at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 01:50:39 CEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 22:29 -0500, Paul Bennett wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:40:25 -0500, Linux GNUbie <gnubie at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> There are so many things that the word "best" can mean. Have you looked at
> the Configuration & Options Guide? Last time I saw it, there was a lot of
> good information in the beginning for the target market of each server.
>
> It's at http://www.ibm.com/servers/eserver/xseries/library/configtools.html

Thanks for this link.  It will help me a lot to identify which product
will fit on our needs.

> It looks like the x345 has been withdrawn in favor of the 346, too. You
> may be able to get the x345 from business partners or resellers, but not
> directly from IBM.

Yeah.

> I can't speak for their stability in real terms. What I can say is that
> they're really designed to be replaced on a whole-machine basis (and then
> repaired and sold as pre-owned) as opposed to ordinary xSeries which are
> designed to be replaced part-by-part. If you own (say) 500 Blades, it can
> be a huge economic advantage.

Ok.

> The whole xSeries range are great to work with. I can't recommend them
> highly enough.

Yeah.

> Hm. A Bladecenter holds 14 blades. Depending on your needs, that's only 6
> slots used on CPU, but you're only allowed one SCSI expansion unit per CPU
> blade, for a total of 12 SCSI hard drives.
>
> Six x346s will be 12U of rack space (instead of 7) but will support 36
> SCSI hard drives (instead of 12).
>
> For NFS, I'd say the choice of x346 is clear, with each unit capable of
> 880GB instead of the 290GB max for a SCSI Blade. If you've got 12U
> available, I say go for it. Also, you might want to recommend using x336s
> for the non-NFS servers, where storage is less of an issue. You'll save
> money, power and space.

It seems to me that the xSeries servers is the most practical choice
compared to blades.  The only advantage that I see with blades is it
will eat less of space in the server room.

Thanks again.

GNUbie