[DRBD-user] Which filesystem on hearbeat+mysql+drbd

James Doherty james at zeald.com
Thu Sep 30 01:12:03 CEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 04:57, Wile wrote:
> Hi, I need to know which filesystem is recommended to the following
> configuration..... hearbeat+mysql+drbd, and kernel 2.6?? (or 2.4 (another
> recommendation please))

During testing here, I had a test machine using ReiserFS on my DRBD
device. I set up NFS to share that filesystem and I mounted it on
another machine. I then started bonnie++ benchmark on it. ReiserFS
produced a lot of errors and prevented access to the filesystem
completely, even after I stopped the benchmark (I can't recall what the
errors were - this was a few months ago). The only way to fix it was to
restart the DRBD machine.

I tried the same thing with ext3, and although the machine slowed down
considerably (as you might expect) I was still able to access the
filesystem. Needless to say, our DRBD setup uses ext3. If anyone is
going to try to replicate this problem, I was using Debian Woody and
kernel 2.4.26.

We're using a 2.4 kernel (2.4.27) in our setup, mainly because its been
well tested and partly because I don't see the need to upgrade to 2.6
just yet.
--
James Doherty
Zeald.com Network Operations