[DRBD-user] machine hanging after resync (drbd 0.7.4, SLES8)

Alan Robertson alanr at unix.sh
Sun Sep 26 01:47:32 CEST 2004

Lars Ellenberg wrote:
> / 2004-09-24 16:28:24 +0100
> \ David Goodwin:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>When installing DRBD on a pair of shuttle computers (sk41s), I find that
>>it functions fine apart from after i simulate a failover.
>>

>>Powering off the primary machine, the secondary takes over ok. But when
>>the failed machine rejoins the cluster it undertakes the partial resync
>>and then hangs hard (part of the way through the resync).
>>
>>Any suggestions on how I can debug this further? Keyboard is locked up
>>(caps lock doesn't work etc), and I've tried alt+sysrq+[srbp] etc. No
>>messages are written out to the console (aside from normal boot up
>>messages).
>>

>>I'm guessing it's hardware related, but the same systems only appear to
>>have problems when running drbd. Other mirroring software (e.g. under
>>Windows) hasn't behaved in a similar manner.
>>

> which mirroring software?
>
> did you do a memtest?
>
> does your via southbrige flip random bits during high DMA load?
>
> no further idea at this point. sorry.

It is worth noting that Windows typically isn't able to put much load on
hardware, so Linux may see errors that Windows never sees.  Do run memtest.

--
     Alan Robertson <alanr at unix.sh>

"Openness is the foundation and preservative of friendship...  Let me claim
from you at all times your undisguised opinions." - William Wilberforce