Re: [DRBD-user] drbd tranfer limitations (random and sequential acccess) using raw

crsurf crsurf at terra.com.br
Thu Sep 23 15:44:47 CEST 2004

De:drbd-user-bounces at lists.linbit.com

Para:"drbd-user" drbd-user at lists.linbit.com

Cópia:

Data:Thu, 23 Sep 2004 15:09:37 +0200

Assunto:Re: [DRBD-user] drbd tranfer limitations (random and sequential acccess) using raw

> / 2004-09-23 09:47:48 -0300
> \ crsurf:
> > > / 2004-09-23 09:01:50 -0300
> > > \ crsurf:
> > >
> > > I am not sure which transfer rate you are talking about.
> > > the throughput of your applications, or the resync throughput?
> > >

> > With resync tha transfer hit 40~50 Mb/s, afer I changed MTU.
> >
> > > or the resync throughput while you have resynchronization and
> > > applications running concurrently?
> > >

> > And when I make a insert into database the transfer hit to 4~6 Mb/s,
> > without full synchronization, only online synchronization.
>
> which transfer.
> sorry, again I don't get you here.
>
> is it that your data base has a write throughput of 6 MB,
> or that drbd resync throughput drops to 6 MB while the database is
> running?

Yes is it, when using database throughput not pass 6 Mb/s.

> how do you measure?

I´m using iptraf to view network traffic and is that wich says the throughput I mencioned before (4~6 Mb when inserting in database and 40~50 Mb/s when doing SyncingAll).

This is the output of iostat on primary server

avg-cpu:  %user   %nice    %sys %iowait   %idle
           0.79    0.00    1.54    3.28   94.39
Device:            tps   Blk_read/s   Blk_wrtn/s   Blk_read   Blk_wrtn
sda             120.44      5271.05      1872.72  290326040  103148100
sda1              0.00         0.05         0.01       2928        424
sda2            120.43      5271.00      1872.71  290323088  103147676

This is the output of iostat on seconday server

avg-cpu:  %user   %nice    %sys %iowait   %idle
           0.32    0.00    1.82    3.58   94.27
Device:            tps   Blk_read/s   Blk_wrtn/s   Blk_read   Blk_wrtn
sda             212.38      1159.70      6143.03   84933272  449898916
sda1              0.00         0.02         0.01       1736        416
sda2            212.38      1159.67      6143.02   84931456  449898500

> and if you are concerned about your database application throughput,
> how does it compare to the figures you get when not using drbd?

When using drbd connected to secondary the time of an process is 20~30 min.
When using with drbd disconnect to secondary the time is 4~5 min.

On primary server I have a RAID 10 (0+1) and on secondary server I have only one disk SCSI. Maybe this causing delay too?

> > > and when you talk about sync-nice, you are using drbd 0.6 ?
> >
> > Yes, I?m using 0.6.13
> >

> > > maybe you want to use 0.7 instead. it reduces the amount of data
> > > transfered to a minimum, thus reducing the time for resynchronization to
> > > some one to three minutes, typically.
> >
> > Well, I?m already compiled 0.7.4, but my question is: I can use the
> > config file of 0.6 in 0.7? And the drbdsetup commands to replicate and
> > define primary node are the same?
>
> you have to adopt the conf file, syntax has changed.
> should be easy enough.
> though, make sure you first read
> upgrade_0.6.x_to_0.7.0.txt and
> upgrade_0.7.0_to_0.7.1.txt
>
> I don't understand what you mean by "commands to replicate".
> in general, the interface for 0.7 is the new drbdadm command,
> and it has a nice little english manpage that should even be complete.

Tanks in advance