[DRBD-user] Current Primary shall become sync TARGET!

Luis F.V.Gomes lf at ele.puc-rio.br
Wed Sep 22 17:36:52 CEST 2004

Andreas Schultz <aschultz at ...> writes:

> Hi Luis,
>
> First, please send your mails in plain text. Not all people are willing to
> bother with HTML mails.

Sorry...

> On Thursday 16 September 2004 17:17, Luis F. V. Gomes wrote:
> >  Hi
> >
> >  Our team trying to setup a mailserver cluster with heartbeat and DRBD to
> > mount /var/spool/mail, but we are having a problem.
> >  If we choose any of the cluster members and simply pull the power plug out
> > and later turn it on again, everything works fine. But if the primary is
> > rebooted or halted using the normal UNIX commands, the secondary becomes
> > primary but when the original primary server is up again, the current
> > primary turns to cs:StandAlone forever logging the following messages:
> >

> >  drbd0: Current Primary shall become sync TARGET! Aborting to prevent data
> > corruption drbd0: error receiving ReportParams, l: 72!
>
> There was a thread about a similar problem some days ago. The suggestion then
> was that the network was shutdown before drbd. This leads to a split brain
> situation where both system have localy consistent data, but are still out of
> sync.
>
> Andreas

Yes. You are right. I searched for this subject in the list archives but I
couldn't find a final solution.

The problem occurs due to the way /etc/rc works (at least in Fedora and Red
Hat): it will shutdown drbd only if there is a file named /var/lock/subsys/drbd
(or drbd.init).  So, I had to modify the drbd script in /etc/init.d to include:

1) At the end of 'start)' block in 'case "$1" in'
        touch /var/lock/subsys/drbd

2)  At the end of 'stop)' block in 'case "$1" in'
        rm -f /var/lock/subsys/drbd

Now drbd is shut down gracefully before the network interfaces and then halting
and rebooting the primary is no longer a problem.

Thank you.
Luís

[Rest of message suppressed]