[DRBD-user] drbd on Redhat Advanced server 2.4.9-3.49

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue Sep 21 16:19:57 CEST 2004

/ 2004-09-21 14:27:07 +0100
\ Steve Purkis:
> On Sep 21, 2004, at 13:38, Robert Fowler wrote:
>
> >I have also downloaded the drbd version 0.7.4 source code but cannot
> >find details on how to compile for redhat.  If I unzip the package and
> >type makes  I get advised the present kernel configuration has modules
> >disabled.  Type make config and enable loadable module support.  Then
> >build a kernel with module support enabled. ??? What does this mean in
> >English ,
>
> It literally means 'rebuild your linux kernel'

not exactly. it only means that he did not read INSTALL, and did not
prepare its kernel source tree properly.

if someone is interessted to use 2.4.9 kernel, I guess he wants to use
some (slightly outdated) RH enterprise product for some reason.
they for sure have modules enabled.
you "only" need to make the kernel source tree you compile drbd against
match the configuration of the kernel you want to use drbd with, which
most likely is your currently running kernel.

> - the core of the
> operating system.  You'll have to install it too.. perhaps not the
> easiest thing to do if you're new to Linux.
>
> You may find this HowTo guide helpful:
>
> 	http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/Kernel-Build-HOWTO.html
>

> >I am new to redhat and this is first time to compile something.  I
> >tried ? make config? but this states No rule to make target ?
>
> Recompiling your kernel & getting DRBD up & running by compiling from
> source will be difficult if you've never compiled anything on Linux
> before...  I suggest you do some reading.  This may help you get
> started:
>
> 	http://www.start-linux.com/articles/article_67.php
>
> -Steve

	Lars Ellenberg