[DRBD-user] attempt to access beyond end of device

Andrew nai at jojati.com
Fri Sep 17 10:15:44 CEST 2004

Alan Robertson wrote:

> Andrew wrote:
>
>> Alan Robertson wrote:

>>> Not that I know of.
>>>
>>> If taking this system down is difficult, you could even do an fsck
>>> -n with it mounted.  It might produce errors, but if you do it
>>> several times, and each time it gives the same errors, then it's
>>> probably worth unmounting it and checking it out the right way.
>>

>> when i run fsck ... i get :
>>
>> [nai2 at jack nai2]$ sudo /sbin/fsck -n /dev/nb0
>> fsck 1.34 (25-Jul-2003)
>> e2fsck 1.34 (25-Jul-2003)
>> Warning!  /dev/nb0 is mounted.
>> Warning: skipping journal recovery because doing a read-only
>> filesystem check.
>> The filesystem size (according to the superblock) is 25444352 blocks
>> The physical size of the device is 25044854 blocks
>> Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt!
>> Abort? no
>>
>> /dev/nb0 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
>> Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
>> Deleted inode 1015829 has zero dtime.  Fix? no
>

> This is more or less what I expected...
>
> I suspect you made the filesystem (mkfs) on the lower layer (real
> disk) device.

Thanks for your help !

hmmmm ok .... I didn't setup the filesystem myself, so I'm not sure how
it was created. Basically your saying that when the filesystem was setup
it may have been done incorrectly by :

mkfs -b 4096 /dev/drbd0

instead of :

mkfs -b 4096 /dev/nb0

Is that correct ?  If that were the case then, is this the kind of errors you would expect to occur after a few months of seemingly flawless operation ?

Are there any other ways to work out whats going on here. I can't really take the machines offline at the moment, nor can i umount the drbd parititions till i know for sure what the problem is.

thanks
Andrew