[DRBD-user] Clarification on How-To

John Lange john.lange at bighostbox.com
Thu Sep 16 20:18:17 CEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 12:32, Alan Robertson wrote:
> > Since the config files is not designed to indicate a primary node, how
> > does drbd know which node should be the primary?
>
> It is told by some outside influence.
>
> For example, by a human being via drbdsetup, or by your cluster manager
> (e.g. heartbeat).

Ok, thanks. So, for the record, the How-To is wrong (or at least highly
misleading) because it basically states that you can do "drbd start" and
then "start using the device".

Thank you for straightening that out.

On a highly related topic, I think the OpenSource community at large
should adopt some kind of interactive documentation (Wiki?) as the norm.

For example, PHP and mySQL's documentation have user comments at the
bottom of each page and I often find them more informative than the
actual documentation.

It would be especially nice for smaller projects where the docs tend to
lag the releases by several months. Having a very easy mechanism for
contributing to the documentation would no doubt improve it
dramatically. Please do not interpret this as any kind of criticism, I
appreciate the work that goes into what is available. I just think if we
can make it even easier to participate then more people would do it and
that can only be a good thing.

I suppose we could supply patches against the documentation just like we
do for code but this is far to hard for the average user who might be
quite knowledgeable about the product from a user standpoint but have no
clue how to use "diff".

--
John Lange