[DRBD-user] Why FullSync is mandatory with first DRBD activation ??? (0.7 series)

Lars Marowsky-Bree lmb at suse.de
Thu Sep 9 11:59:22 CEST 2004

On 2004-09-08T16:23:53,
   Benoit.Ropartz at alcatel.fr said:

> I wonder why DRBD active a Fullsync systematically after a first activation
> of DRBD (DRBD_MD_MAGIC=0 in my MD area
> on disk).
>
> It's not necessary if disks must be formated (mke2fs) ????

It's not always necessary, and in the documentation you'll find a way
around it. However, it is the safe default to make sure that the devices
are initially in sync, because otherwise reads might return different
data on the two nodes.

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb at suse.de>

--
High Availability & Clustering	   \\\  ///
SUSE Labs, Research and Development \honk/