[DRBD-user] LVM 1 + DRBD

Alex Ongena Alex.Ongena at able.be
Thu Oct 28 10:01:26 CEST 2004

We are using drbd on top of LVM 1 to replicate an LVM partition,
and it seems to work fine.
Also our (external) meta data device is an LVM device.
Regards
alex

linux 2.4.24 + drbd 0.7.5 + LVM 1 (not patched, what's in the kernel
tree)

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 08:50, Marc Cousin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to use LVM 1.0 + DBRB on my servers, and have questions about it :
> From what I've read, it seems that it is impossible to use LVM 1 on top of
> DRBD (this could be done with LVM2 thanks to the lists of device one can give
> it in the configuration file).
>
> Technically, where does this impossibility come from ?
>
> To ask the real question, I've taken the LVM 1.08 tools code, looked at how it
> has changed from older versions in order to allow the use of NBD as PVs, and
> duplicated the work to use DBRD as PVs. My real question is to know if it is
> crazy to do so (patch the LVM tools, even if the patch is only a few lines,
> very close to copy n paste) and if the whole thing is going to crash in a few
> hours (it works great for now, we've done lots of test and DRBD is amazing).
>
> We don't want to use DRBD on top of LVs as it seems way too complicated to
> manage (resizes, snapshots, etc ...), and easy to forget to add the DRBD on a
> freshly created LV. I want it as simple as possible as I'm not the one who
> will maintain the servers (dozens of servers), and some of them will have to
> be resized very often (the development machines).
>
> Cheers
>
> Marc Cousin

aXs GUARD has completed security and anti-virus checks on this e-mail
(http://www.axsguard.com)