[DRBD-user] drbd + heartbeat resource failover

Anand Subramanian anands at ca.ibm.com
Thu Oct 28 02:23:15 CEST 2004

I am trying drbd (0.7.5) with Heartbeat (1.2.3) on RHEL3 update 2
(2.4.21-ELsmp Linux kernel - comes default with the distro). I have a
question regarding resource failover which hopefully makes sense to
someone out here.

When my primary node (node1) goes down, I can see that node2 (hitherto,
the secondary node) takes over. But this takeover is not fully automated.
W.r.t Heartbeat, the resource seems to be drbddisk (specified in the
/etc/ha.d/haresources file on both nodes in identical fashion).

When the primary goes down, the secondary node (in case of drbd) needs to
do something like :

a) make this secondary node the primary node

b) mount  /dev/drbd0  /mnt_point (In my case, I can see that I can mount
the drbd meta device "rw" only when the node is made a primary, else it is
mounted "ro" which doesn't help my application).

The scripts that heartbeat runs to check status (on the secondary, when
the primary fails) seems to be  /etc/ha.d/rc.d/status. I see this script
return a 0 always. Which means that the above actions (a) and (b) are not
being taken.

In short, whatever the ResourceManager (Heartbeat presumably) tries to do
by checking for resource status seems to be simply :
"/etc/ha.d/rc.d/status status" which returns 0. So even if the primary has
gone down, the secondary does not come up as the primary node in my
cluster and the meta device is not mounted properly. Has anyone had this
problem, or is it just that old friend  "configuration error" doing things
here?

 Is this known behavior wr.t. heartbeat and drbd integration?  Is this
status script the right one used by others who have done Heartbeat + drbd
integration, or do I need to write my own scripts? Should status be
checked via the drbddisk script provided in the /etc.ha.d directory?

Ok, I have gone through the available documentation at
http://lists.community.tummy.com/pipermail/linux-ha/ and
http://wiki.trick.ca/linux-ha/TitleIndex  &
http://linuxha.trick.ca/GettingStartedWithHeartbeat etc.  Sorry, must have
missed it...