[DRBD-user] Migrating NFS to a DRBD block device

Bernd Schubert bernd-schubert at web.de
Fri Oct 15 23:41:14 CEST 2004

On Friday 15 October 2004 19:15, Lars Ellenberg wrote:
> / 2004-10-15 09:51:17 -0700
>
> \ Jeff Buck:
> > OK, I know this would be a bit of a kludge, but wouldn't it work to put
> > LVM on top of the block device. Wouldn't the device number in that case
> > stay the same, even if you popped drbd in or out of the loop?
>
> well, but first you'd need to migrate from your current bdev to lvm.
> same problem there.

I don't think that lvm would help in this situation since the device numbers
of drbd count and not the device numbers of the device drbd is installed on.
Unless of course one sets up lvm on top of drbd...

> and then, you can as well migrate directly to drbd.
>
> but Bernd was right mentioning the fsid parameter
> (you need a recent nfsd implementation, though...)
>
> if you can figure out the correct fsid,
> migration of the server should then be possible
> even without rebooting / remounting the clients.

No, unfortunately it doesn't work that way, see

http://www.dragoninc.on.ca/mail-archives/nfs/2002-08/0057.html

I can't find my own previous howto's (I probably sent it as private mail)
about it, but I think it was the same that Neil told me on the NFS list.

Cheers,
 Bernd