[DRBD-user] migrating to a larger DRBD device

Bernd Schubert bernd-schubert at web.de
Mon Oct 11 10:04:48 CEST 2004

On Monday 11 October 2004 08:22, campbellm at cia.com.au wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question regarding migrating a DRBD device to a one of a
> different size (in this case, a larger partition), and do this without
> stopping any services.
>
> I have been experimenting with this and have found that, after resizing
> a device and then bring it up as a primary, it syncs and mounts the DRBD
> device ok, except that it creates it as the old size even though the
> lower level device on which it is mounted is much larger.
>
> My guess is this is due to meta-data. Apart from maybe using a setup where
> the meta-data device is on a separate device, what would be the best way
> to do such a migration? One way might be to use 'tar' or 'cp' (maybe
> dump?) to backup up the existing DRBD device to somewhere else, and then
> shut the machines down, create the new DRBD devices (either on a larger
> partition or a new disk), run drbdsetup, make the filesystem, and copy
> the data back.
>
> Is this pretty much the best way? I assume it cannot be done using the
> 'syncing' functions of DRBD, so that you could get away without having a
> service outage. Again, this assumes an 'internal' meta-data, although I
> guess that wouldn't make a difference anyway.

man drbdsetup  shows:

drbdsetup device resize [ -d size ]

and

   RESIZE
       This  causes DRBD to reexamine the size of the device's backing storage
       device. To actually do online growing you need to  extend  the  backing
       storages on both devices and call the resize command on both nodes.

Cheers,
	Bernd

--
Bernd Schubert
Physikalisch Chemisches Institut / Theoretische Chemie
e-mail: bernd.schubert at pci.uni-heidelberg.de