[DRBD-user] Any known kernel panic issues with drbd-0.7.5?

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Sat Oct 9 00:32:37 CEST 2004

Luc de Louw wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> since a couple of days I'm running drbd on my production systems. Since
> then I experienced two kernel panics after having a stable system for
> months before.
>
> Unfortunately there is no log entry available, and no oopses or any
> other information why the system crashed (access to sysconsole
> unfortunately not possible)
>
> Does anybody had the same experience?

I know why my system crashes, and it is not drbd's fault (drbd calls the
kernel panic because the lower level device SUCKS & dies :{ ).

However, to see why it was going down, on a fedora core 1 system, I had to
modify /etc/inittab and set the initdefault to 3 instead of 5.  With the
system in 3 (console instead of X) you can actually see the output of the
kernel panic or OOPS, even though it will never be in the syslog. After
changing it, I think running `init 3` will change you into level 3
immediately. the inittab affects you on boot.

As long as you don't need X running on the system ALL  the time, I would
suggest changing the inittab. At least then you can come back with more data.

Sorry this does not solve your problem, but I hope it helps get you on the
way.

> My System:
>
> SuSE 9.0 on primary node, SuSE 8.2 on secondary node
> Kernel 2.4.24 (vanilla) on primary
> Kernel 2.4.27-pre1 (vanilla) on secondary
>
> Thanks for any reports/hints
>
> Luc

Todd Denniston