[DRBD-user] Bringing up a failed master

Andreas Huck drbd at huck.it
Mon Nov 29 12:03:05 CET 2004

Hi,

On Monday 29 November 2004 10:58, Gareth Ansell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am about to run a contingency test for some of our servers.  This
> involves shutting down the main server (drbd master), starting the
> standby server (drbd secondary -> drbd master), and restarting the main
> server as the secondary server.
>
> Is there any special procedures to follow when I restart the (ex)main
> server.  Will it come up as a drbd secondary server automatically?
>
> What I am concerned about is that when it is restarted it will bring
> itself up into its previous drbd primary state, and cause all sorts of
> data loss.

your main server (drbd master) should become slave before
shutting down. Your cluster manager (heartbeat?) could handle
this. It will come up as secondary again and the primary should sync the
changed blocks. But beware of any (misconfigured) autofailback feature
of your cluster manager.

Regards,
Andreas