[DRBD-user] Slow NFS behaviour (0.7.5)

Jaroslaw Zachwieja grok at warwick.ac.uk
Wed Nov 24 13:08:25 CET 2004

On środa 24 listopada 2004 11:44, Philipp Reisner wrote:
[...]
> > "The problem is the server side "async" option which basically causes
> > knfsd to ignore COMMIT requests, as well as causing it to fail to
> > fsync() the directory after file CREATE/LINK/UNLINK/RENAME/...
> > i.e. it turns of all consistency guarantess on the server."
>
> Interesting new insights about NFS !

"Nightmare File System" and "No File Security". Nothing new. ;>

/me curses the sysadmin fate...

At the moment I'm thinking how should I explain to users, that every mount
is now exported async, over tcp and we're having ~ 1GB buffers on the
server just to mitigate the commits load. Then you get the drbd (which, in
it's fairness is protocol C; but I don't know why, as I could as well use
A with with current settings of al-extents 521; and max-buffers 131072;).

Is there really no way to have transaction safe NFS server on DRBD that
doesn't crawl like rats-assed three legged turtle on valium? :>

Best regards,
--
Jaroslaw Zachwieja
Centre for Scientific Computing