[DRBD-user] drbd.conf

dhz_bf at walla.co.il dhz_bf at walla.co.il
Wed Nov 17 07:48:30 CET 2004

Please note that drbd creates virtual disk devices above the actual disk partition.  For example, you can have /dev/nb0 above /dev/hda2 and /dev/nb1 above /dev/hda3 and so on.

Your file systems are created on the virtual device and any data on the disk you access normally is through the virtual device.  This way, drbd gets to intervene in these operations and synchronize the secondary node with writes you make to these partitions.

Here's an example how to setup a new drbd partition (assuming your configuration file, drbd.conf is ok):

mkdir -p /var/lib/drbd"
/etc/rc.d/init.d/drbd start
drbdsetup /dev/nb0 primary    (this makes sure you can access /dev/nb0)
mkfs -b 4096 /dev/nb0
tune2fs -j -c0 -i0 /dev/nb0
echo "/dev/nb0      /mnt/disk ext3   noauto,data=journal   0 0" >> /etc/fstab    (Udate fstab accordingly)
mkdir -p /mnt/disk
/etc/ha.d/resource.d/datadisk drbd0 start

<aleks.n at telus.net>
[DRBD-user] drbd.conf

Hi ,

I am struggling to understand how drbd works .....

In drbd.conf ,  what is the relationship between  device=/dev/nbd/0
and disk=/dev/hda2  ( my root partition )   ?

I loaded the module ..... insmod nbd  .... then /dev/nbd/0 shows up in
my filesystem ....
I run /etc/init.d/drbd start  which does not show any output ( should
there be ? ) ...
Then I try mkfs -t ext3 /dev/nbd/0 ..... which fails ( I forget the
exact error messages , I'll repost
if that's important ) .

in /etc/fstab I put   ..... /dev/nbd/0            /        ext3
........ etc.  Does this make sense ?
I get on boot ......... EXT3-fs : unable to read superblock
mount : wrong fs type , bad option , bad superblock on /dev/nbd/0 or too
many mounted
file systems .