[DRBD-user] DRBD tweaks

Roy Bixler rcb at press.uchicago.edu
Thu May 27 20:45:30 CEST 2004

We have been using DRBD for close to a year now and it has been working well
for us.  However, recently a couple of messages have appeared in the log and
I'm not sure of their severity or of the best way of remedying them.  We use
Linux 2.4.26 kernel, DRBD 0.6.12 and the ext3 filesystem on a Debian Woody
system.

First, intermittently (a week or so apart), I saw the following message:

drbd0: [kjournald/982] sock_sendmsg time expired, ko = 4294967295

My understanding is that the message above is not serious unless it appears
often.  If I am wrong about this, which parameter in "drbd.conf" would I
tweak to fix this?

Today, I saw this message:

drbd0: transferlog too small!!

I believe this involves setting the "tl-size" parameter.  How serious is this?
What would be the best way to change this on both nodes?  For example, would
a procedure like the following work?  (Would it be overkill?)

a) change "tl-size" on secondary
b) do /etc/init.d/drbd reconnect
c) fail over to secondary
d) change "tl-size" on former primary
e) repeat step b
f) fail back to original primary

Another thing is that I am running protocol B and I understand that protocol C
is preferred.  I assume the only way to safely switch protocols is to take
down the entire cluster, make the change and bring it back up again.

Thoughts anyone?

--
Roy Bixler <rcb at press.uchicago.edu>
The University of Chicago Press