[DRBD-user] initscript should be non-interactive

Helmut Wollmersdorfer helmut.wollmersdorfer at gmx.at
Sun May 23 22:58:47 CEST 2004

David Krovich schrieb:
> I've currently got a bug filed against the Debian drbd packages that I
> would appreciate comments from people on this list to help resolve.
> It is in regards to what the /etc/init.d/drbd initscript should do in
> regards the ask_for_abort() function.

> The full text is available at:

As I read the the debian bug reports for DRBD regulary, I know this for
a while, and I always believed, this is a violation against debian policy.

Now, I read
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html#s-sysvinit
_twice_, but I couldn't find an explicite rule, that init-scripts must
not be interactive.

One of the problems, that the init-process hangs waiting for an answer,
and the node administrator can not login from remote via SSH (I
experienced this;-), seems now solved with

| drbd (0.6.12-1) unstable; urgency=low
[...]
|  * Changed sequence number in the runlevel to start at 70 and stop
|    at 08.  drbd should start after things like ssh, but before
|    heartbeat.

Another solution (or work around) could be, to uncomment
      # not given/0: wait until the partner node shows up, or
      # some operator intervenes; do not timeout.
      # inittimeout=60
in the example drbd.conf - not a nice solution.

Let's ask the most important question:

      Bug or feature?

Lars M.-B. writes in his post: feature.
Phil and Lars E. said per _coding_: feature.

So it seems, that this problem is a feature-request or change-request,
or in terms of debian a whishlist item.

_My_ suggestion:
DRBD should not interrupt the init-process in such a situation. Only
print a message like "cannot decide to be primary or secondary" and
leave states as the are. Further action should be taken by the cluster
manager.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer